Start Date: As soon as possible
Location: IPA-Kenya Nairobi Office
Reporting To: Programme Implementation Team Manager
IPAK is also the site of IPA’s largest scale-up initiatives including Kenya’s National School-Based Deworming Programme and Safe Water Programme.
The IPA-Kenya office was established in 2006 in Western Kenya and now employs over 300 people.
About the Deworm the World Initiative The Deworm the World Initiative, operated in partnership with IPA, actively supports the scale-up of the National School-Based Deworming Programme in Kenya to improve children’s health, education, and long-term development.
School-based deworming is proven to be an extremely effective intervention with tangible health, education, labor productivity and earnings benefits, and is one of the most cost-effective methods of increasing overall school attendance and participation in endemic countries.
In Kenya, the Deworm the World Initiative provides technical assistance to the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation and aims to treat 5 million children each year for 5 years.
The Senior Programme Coordinator is part of a team responsible for providing support to the Kenyan Government to implement a successful school-based deworming programme nationally.
The DtWI team and the Kenyan Government initiate a training and drug distribution cascade that will ultimately train teachers to deliver deworming medication through Kenyan schools.
The Senior Programme Coordinator is also a senior member of the team responsible for ensuring high quality planning, logistical arrangements, and technical content of the programme.
- Manage key elements of the national programme such as training, drug supply and requisition, and material distribution
- Ensure effective communication with district and county officials involved in programme implementation
- Adapt the programme to individual districts where necessary while maintaining cost-effectiveness at scale
- Assist in developing the programme schedule and design
- Manage community sensitization and media engagement
- Play a leadership role in creating effective and positive team dynamics and deliver basic management for the team of Project Coordinators and other Programme Team Staff
- Liaise and communicate with policy team to ensure that the programme responds appropriately to government priorities
- Work closely with the technical staff to ensure technical aspects of the programme are effectively incorporated into the implementation plan
- Integrate data and other lessons learned by the monitoring and evaluation team into programme activities
- Plan for and support execution of training activities for district officials, and also conducted by district officials for lower level officers
- Work closely with the monitoring and evaluation team to ensure critical programme implementation information is reflected in the monitoring and evaluation plan
- Support the data team by ensuring relevant programme data from all district activities are promptly received by the programme team at the national level
- Support the preparation of programme budgets to ensure district and national level budgets optimize programme quality and value for money
- Work closely with the finance team to monitor programme implementation budget execution and support cash flow forecasting
- Support the finance team in ensuring district budget expenditures and returns are executed according to planStrategic Management Tasks
- Provide strategic guidance on programme implementation including forecast of programme plans and strategies
- Play a role in ongoing programme design and implementation changes
- Assist in general office functioning by creating and maintaining systems of organization and communication
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, public policy, health, or relevant social sciences; master’s degree preferred
- At least 4-5 years of work experience as a project/programme coordinator or similar role in a public, non-profit or private sector office
- Experience with programmes aimed at large-scale delivery/distribution of services or goods strongly preferred
- Experience in public health and/or education sector programmes desired
- Experience engaging with Kenyan government officials and structures and/or policymakers in some professional capacity, preferably in issues surrounding public health or education
- Ability to think critically about work flows, time and resource management, and programme management issues
- Strong critical thinking and judgment skills
- Clear understanding of the Kenyan working environment (culture, people, geography, etc.), ability to leverage that knowledge to help the team make good decisions about operations and programme management
- High level of attention to detail
- Proven organization skills
- Effective communication, verbal and writing skills
- Strong ability to develop relationships with a diverse team
- Familiarity with major actors in public health and education, particularly school based health preferred
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet/Email
- Fluent in English and Swahili
- Mature and professional composure
- Highest level of honesty and integrity
- Eagerness to develop personally/professionally, willingness to learn, develop new skills, and take on more responsibilities
- Openness to working in a flexible work environment with fast evolving systems and procedures
- High level of initiative in improving the organization’s working environment
- Cover letter explaining interest in the position and fit for the role
- CV/resume, including three references, daytime phone number(s), and email address. Your CV should include your scores or grades and other measures of academic achievement, and details about any relevant work experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the Senior Programme Coordinator.
The statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all possible duties, tasks, and responsibilities.
Management reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet organizational needs as necessary.
Please note that IPA will never request any form of payment from an applicant. Applicants are encouraged to confirm the information listed above with IPA prior to releasing any extensive personal information to the organization.
IPA is an equal opportunity employer and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Please direct questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.